We are always trying our best to make our eyes stand out. Eye Makeup is the perfect way to enhance your features, create the illusion of more volume and draw attention to your best features. You can go all-out with dramatic cat eyes, a smudged smokey look, or just a thin line of black eyeliner. From making your eye color pop to experimenting with the multitude of eye shadow colors, wearing makeup has never been more fun than it is right now. We have put together step by step guide on how to apply flawless eye makeup.
Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o has worn various eye makeup looks over the past few months, from bold colors to flower prints and everything in between.
If you want to wear perfect eye makeup as she does, here are a few helpful tips to get you started.
1. Start With the Best Make-up Brushes
The most important thing to achieve those watercolor eyes is essential ‘Tools’. The right makeup brushes can make all the difference in your eye makeup application. Here are some tips to help you choose the best brushes for your needs:
- Choose the right brush for the eyeshadow formula. If you’re using a powder eyeshadow, look for a soft, fluffy brush. For cream or liquid eyeshadows, choose a synthetic brush with firm bristles.
- Use different brushes for different areas of the eye. A large brush is great for applying shadow to the lid, while a smaller brush is better for getting into the crease of the eye.
2. Prime your Lids
When achieving a flawless eye makeup look, one of the most important steps is to use a Primer. Here are some tips on how to use an eye primer for the best results:
- Apply the primer on clean, dry skin. This will help the product adhere better and prevent creasing.
- Use a small amount of primer and blend it well into the skin around your eyes.
- Allow the primer to set for a few minutes before applying your eyeshadow. This will help your shadow stay in place all day long.
- When using a powder eyeshadow, tap off any excess before applying it to your lid. This will help prevent fallout and give you a more even application.
- If you have trouble blending your eyeshadow, try using a dampened beauty sponge or brush. This will help create a smoother, more blended look.
3. Conceal Dark Circles
Concealer can be a game-changer when it comes to your eye makeup. Not only can it help to cover up any dark circles or blemishes, but it can also be used to create a more defined and dramatic look. You can also conceal dark circles with the case Eye Shadow. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your concealer:
- Choose the right shade of concealer for your skin tone. If you need more clarification, ask for help at a makeup counter.
- Apply concealer in a triangle shape under your eyes, and blend outward.
- Set your concealer with powder to help it stay in place all day.
4. Apply Eye Shadow (For Beginners)
When creating a flawless eye makeup look, one of the most important things to keep in mind is the placement of colors. For a truly dramatic and stunning effect, you should place darker colors at the inner and outer corners of the eyes. This will help to create a more defined and polished look.
- Start by applying a light eyeshadow color all over the lid. This will act as a base and help create a smooth canvas for your eye makeup. Take a darker eyeshadow color and apply it to the outer corner of each eye. Use a small brush to blend this color inwards towards the center of the lid.
- Finally, take a third eyeshadow color slightly lighter than the first two and apply it to the inner corner of each eye. Again, use a small brush to blend this color towards the lid’s center. Following these simple tips, you can achieve a flawless and stunning eye makeup look that will turn heads!
Check out this easy Eye Shadow look!
5. Highlight with a Shimmery Shadow
Using a highlighter eyeshadow adds depth and makes the eyes appear larger, brighter, and more alert, drawing attention to them. Shadow with a highlight makes your eyes look more awake and vibrant. Here are our top tips for using shadows with highlights to slay your eye makeup:
- Choose a light-colored shadow for your highlight and a darker shade for your shadow. This will help to create contrast and make your eyes pop.
- Apply your shadow first, then your highlight. This will help the highlight stand out more.
- Use a small brush to apply your highlight in the inner corner of your eye and under your brow bone. This will brighten up your whole face.
Watch 3 different techniques of How to apply Highlighter in the corner of your eyes in this video
- Choose the right eyeliner for your needs. If you want a dramatic look, go for a liquid liner; if you want something more subtle, opt for a pencil liner.
- Apply the eyeliner as close to the lash line as possible. For a more precise application, use an eyeliner brush.
The right eyeliner can take your eye makeup from drab to fab in an instant. You can apply eyeliner to the water lines of the eyes as well as above or below the lower lashes, or even both. Here are a few tips to help you choose the perfect eyeliner for your needs:
Check out 12 different Eyeliner looks and how to apply them like a pro!
7. Curl your Lashes
The eyes appear large and vivid when the lashes are curled. If you want to achieve flawless eye makeup, then you need to start with curled lashes. Curling your lashes will give your eyes a more open and awake appearance and help your mascara go on more evenly. Here are some tips for getting the perfect curl:
- Before curling your lashes, make sure they are free of makeup or oil. This will help the curl to hold better.
- Place the lash curler as close to the root of your lashes as possible and squeeze gently for about 10 seconds.
- Repeat this process on the outermost lashes, working your way inwards.
- Finish off by applying mascara evenly to both upper and lower lashes.
Moving towards the finishing steps of eye makeup, mascara has prime importance. Your eyelashes get enhanced, defined, and lengthened with mascara. Here are a few things you can do to ensure your lashes look their best:
- Apply the mascara to your upper lashes first, starting at the base and wiggling the brush as you move up.
- For your lower lashes, hold the brush horizontally and use a light touch to avoid getting too much product on your skin.
- To avoid smudging, let the first coat of mascara dry before applying a second layer.
9. Brow Pencil
A well-groomed brow can make all the difference in your overall appearance, so it’s important to take the time to get them looking their best. To create the illusion of fuller, bolder eyebrows, add more hair to the skin between the existing hairs.
Here are some tips on how to use a brow pencil to achieve flawless results:
- Use light strokes – when applying your brow pencil, use light strokes to mimic the look of natural hairs. This will help create a more believable,natural-looking brow.
- Fill in sparse areas – if you have any sparse areas in your brows, fill them in with your pencil to create a fuller look.
- Use a spoolie brush – after applying your brow pencil, use a spoolie brush to blend the color and soften any harsh lines. This will give you a more polished finish.
Eye Makeup Do’s and Don’ts
When it comes to eye makeup, there are some dos and don’ts that you should keep in mind! Here are a few of the most important ones:
- Start with a clean slate. Make sure your face is clean, and your eyelashes are free of any makeup before you start applying anything.
- Use a primer. This will help create a smooth canvas for your eye makeup and make it last longer.
- Be careful with glitter. A little can go a long way, so use it sparingly. You don’t want to end up looking like a disco ball!
- Forget to blend. Blending is key in eye makeup, so make sure you take the time to do it properly.
- Go too heavy on the mascara. Too much mascara can look clumpy and unnatural, so build it up slowly until you get the desired effect.
There you have it, our ultimate guide to flawless eye makeup. We hope you found this helpful and feel equipped to create a stunning eye makeup look of your own. Try different techniques and products until you find what works best.